Class 10 Employability Skills Unit 1 – Communication Skills
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not an element of communication within the communication process cycle?
Ans: d) Time
2. You need to apply leave at work. Which method of communication will you use?
Ans : a) E-mail
3. Which of the following methods are used to receive information from the sender through a letter?
Ans : d) Writing
4. By which action, can a sender send his or her messages?
d) None of these
Ans : b) Speaking
5. Which of the following method is used to receive information from the sender?
d) None of these
Ans : b) Listening
6. Karan lives at a hostel in Shimla. He calls his mother who lives in Delhi, to get her approval for the robotics class which is going to start in his school next week onwards. However, due to disruption in the phone line, his mother could not understand and reply to him. He got very upset. Which another medium can he use to get immediate approval of his mother?
c) Message through friend
Ans : a) Email
7. How do you receive information on the phone?
Ans : a) Listening
8. Which of the following is an example of oral communication?
c) Phone call
Ans : c) Phone call
9. What are the types of words we should use for verbal communication?
Ans : b) Simple
10. Why do we use e-mails?
a) To communicate with many people at the same time.
b) To share documents and files
c) To talk to each other in real-time
d) To keep record of communication
Ans : a) and b)
11. _________ is a form of communication that allows students to put their feelings and ideas on paper.
a) Listening skill
b) Writing skills
c) Speaking skill
d) Walking skill
Ans : b) Writing skills
12. Choose the correct example of oral communication.
c) Face to Face conversations
Ans : c) Face to Face conversations
13. Which of these is a positive ( good ) facial expression?
a) Staring hard
b) Nodding while listening
c) Wrinkled forehead
d) Looking away from the speaker
Ans : b) Nodding while listening
14. Which of these is NOT an appropriate non-verbal communication at work?
a) Putting arm around a coworker’s shoulder
b) Shaking hands firmly
c) Looking at the speaker with a smile
d) Standing with an upright posture
Ans : a) Putting arm around a coworker’s shoulder
15. When you are preparing for a presentation, you should
a) Focus on the message
b) Practice hand gestures
c) Try different speaking techniques
d) All of the above
Ans : d) All of the above
16. What does an upright ( straight ) body posture convey or show?
Ans : c) Confidence
17. Which of these is NOT an appropriate non-verbal communication at work?
a) Keeping hands in pockets while talking
b) Talking at moderate speed
c) Sitting straight
d) Tilting head a bit to listen
Ans : a) Keeping hands in pockets while talking
18. Which of the following statement is true about communication?
a) 50% of our communication is non-verbal
b) 20% communication is done using body movements, face, arms, etc.
c) 5% communication is done using voice, tone, pauses, etc.
d) 7% communication is done using words
Ans : d) 7% communication is done using words
19. Which of these are examples of positive feedback?
a) Excellent, your work has improved.
b) I noticed your dedication towards the project
c) You are always doing it the wrong way.
d) Both (a) and (b)
Ans : d) Both (a) and (b)
20. Which of these are examples of negative feedback?
a) I hate to tell you this but your drawing skills are poor.
b) You can surely improve your drawing.
c) This is a good drawing but you can do better.
d) None of the above
Ans : a) I hate to tell you this but your drawing skills are poor.
21. Which of the following are effective components of a good feedback?
a) Detailed and time consuming
b) Direct and honest
Ans : b) and c)
22. Which of these is NOT a common communication barrier?
a) Linguistic barrier
b) Interpersonal barrier
c) Financial barrier
d) Organisational barrier
Ans : c) Financial barrier
23. Which of these are ways to overcome communication barriers?
a) Respecting each other’s differences
b) Using a translator
c) Not communicating at all
d) Using your own language for comfort
Ans : a) and b)
24. Use of abbreviations in a communication leads to misinterpretation of message is an example of __________ barriers.
a) Language/ Linguistic
Ans : a) Language/ Linguistic
25. Match the following:
|1. Language||A. Taking an official call on your mobile where the mobile phone reception is poor.|
|2. Emotional||B. Hugging a person in a foreign country where such an act is rude and disrespectful.|
|3. Environmental||C. Talking in Hindi when others know only German.|
|4. Cultural||D. Teacher is too angry and is not willing to accept any reason from a student who is late for an examination.|
Ans : 1 – C, 2. – D, 3. – A, 4. – B
26. In which of the following, the underlined word is an adjective? ( adjectives : Words that describe other words )
a) Radha has a red dress.
b) I can speak French.
c) The Girl on the Train is a best-seller.
d) Abdul can swim fast.
Ans : A and C
27. Which of these sentences is capitalized correctly?
a) Ravi and i are going to the movies.
b) Salim is visiting India in july.
c) The Tiger is a strong animal.
d) She is arriving on Monday.
Ans : C and D
28. Which of these sentences are punctuated correctly?
a) When is the party.
b) I had bread omelette and a Banana for breakfast.
c) I am so excited about my first foreign trip!
d) This is Abdul’s notebook.
Ans : C and D
29. In which of these sentences can you find an adverb? ( Adverb : words that add meaning to verbs by answering How? How often? When? And where )
a) Divya drinks milk every day.
b) Sanjay gifted me a new pen.
c) I opened the door lock.
d) Sita is 5-feet tall
Ans : a) Divya drinks milk every day.
30. Identify the object, verb and subject in the sentence, : ‘The car crashed into a tree’.
( Subject : Person or thing that performs an action.
Verb : Describes the action.
Object :Person or thing that receives the action. )
a) Object : a tree; Verb : Crashed; Subject : the car
b) Object : a tree; Verb : Crashed; Subject : a tree
c) Object : crashed; Verb : the tree; Subject : the car
d) Object : crashed; Verb : the tree; Subject : the tree
Ans : a) Object : a tree; Verb : Crashed; Subject : the car
31. Identify the indirect object in the sentence, ‘The band played music for the audience.’
a) The band
Ans : d) Audience
32. Which of these is an imperative sentence?
a) Switch off the fan.
b) Sheila has gone to the market.
c) Where are my pen colours?
d) Oh no! I missed my flight.
Ans : d) Oh no! I missed my flight.
33. Which of these sentences is in active voice?
a) A movie is being watched by them.
b) The car was repaired by Raju.
c) He is reading a book.
d) The thief was being chased by a policeman.
Ans : c) He is reading a book.
34. Sushma Swaraj was a good orator. Identify the type of sentence.
Ans : b) Declarative
35. _____ are a group of words that work together to communicate an element of speech.
Ans : b) Phrase
36. What is a sentence?
a) A group of ideas that form a complete Paragraph.
b) A group of words that communicate a complete thought.
c) A set of rules that we must follow to write correctly.
d) A set of words that contains all the basic punctuation marks.
Ans : b) A group of words that communicate a complete thought.
37. Which of the following is an example of oral communication?
(c) Phone call
Ans : c) Phone call
38. Which of these is a positive (good) facial expression?
(a) Frowning while concentrating
(b) Maintaining eye contact
(c) Smiling continuously
(d) Rolling up your eyes
Ans : (b) Maintaining eye contact
39. Which of these is NOT an appropriate non-verbal communication at work?
(a) Keeping hands in pockets while talking
(b) Talking at moderate speed
(c) Sitting straight
(d) Tilting head a bit to listen
Ans : (a) Keeping hands in pockets while talking
40. Identify the true statement about the communication.
(a) 50% of our communication is non-verbal
(b) 20% communication is done using body movements, face, arms, etc.
(c) 5% communication is done using voice, tone, pauses, etc.
(d) 7 % communication is done using words
Ans : (d) 7 % communication is done using words