Class 9 Information Technology 402 NCERT Book Exercise Solution
Part- B: Unit-1 Introduction to IT –ITeS Industry
A. Give an example of the use of IT in the following areas.
Avoid already discussed examples.
|Classroom content transaction|
|Assessment of students|
|Student record management|
|Classroom content transaction||Presentation of the topic taught, Videos from Youtube|
|Assessment of students||Assignments sent at home through|
internet to solve, online conduct of exam, Sending marks and messages to parents
|Library management||Easy & speedy access to information,|
Improves the quality of library service,
Increases in the knowledge & experience
|Student record management||Result Analysis with previous marks,|
Complete information of the student.
B. Short answer questions (50 words)
1. What do you understand by the term IT and ITeS?
Answer: Information Technology: Information Technology (IT) means creating, managing, storing and exchanging information. IT includes all types of technology used to deal with information, such as computer hardware and software technology used for creating, storing, and transferring information.
ITeS : Information Technology that enables the business by improving the quality of service is Information Technology enabled Services (ITeS).
ITeS is also called web-enabled services or remote services.
2. What are the pros and cons of using ICT?
Answer: Pros and Cons of ICT are
|Advantages / Prss of ICT||Disadvantages / Cons of ICT|
|Communication has become quicker and more efficient. People can call, face time and text anyone.||Unethical hacking and cyber crimes are the most prominent disadvantage of ICT.|
|ICT has globalised the whole world.||Managing courses online sometimes becomes difficult and troublesome.|
|It has helped to automate business deals and practices and also helped economically.||For poor people affording an expensive internet connection becomes difficult.|
|In education, E-learning books and apps are introduced to students and teachers.||Students get distracted watching or learning destructive or immoral content on the internet.|
3. What precautions are required to ensure that ICT use is safe?
Answer: Precautions required to use ICT safely are:
- Install protective software ( Antivirus )
- Choose strong passwords.
- Back up on a regular basis.
- Always log out from your id and do not leave your machine unattended with your id logged in.
- Use email and the internet safely.
- Protect sensitive files using the encryption tools built into your operating system.
- Make Online Purchases From Secure Sites
- Don’t put anything online that may hurt someone.
- People you meet online are not always who they claim to be.
- Be Careful about what You Download
4. What are the four main sub-sectors in the IT-BPM industry?
Answer: Four main sub-sectors are:
- IT Services
- ITS sub-sector involves a range of engagement types that include consulting, systems integration, IT outsourcing / managed services/hosting services, training, and support/maintenance.
- Business Process Management
- BPM sub-sector deals with the management of one or more business processes by an external organization.
- Software Products
- The IT Industry providing services in the area of software products
- Engineering Research and Development
- ERD services are those that increase or manage processes which are related to the creation of a product or service.
5. Give examples of the use of IT in everyday life.
Answer: The use of IT in everyday life are
- We use washing machines, microwave ovens, and many other products which have embedded software.
- We can store all the information about our important work, appointments schedules and list of contacts on a computer.
6. How is IT used in libraries?
Answer: Nowadays many libraries are computerised. Each book has a barcode associated with it. This makes it easier for the library to keep track of books and the availability of a specific book.
Computer software is used to issue and return the book. Each book in the library has a magnetic strip attached to it that is deactivated before the book can be borrowed.
7. What are the various processes of education where IT is used?
Answer: The various processes of education are:
(a) ICT in the classroom : It is used through e-learning classrooms; smartboard presentations; videos; magazines, letters and documents; educational games; gathering educational information on the Internet.
(b) Education — anywhere anytime: Students can access information on their subject at any time using the internet with the help of a variety of websites and mobile apps. For e.g www.mycstutorial.in or mobile app.
A teacher or a trainer can be contacted via the Internet to use WBT (Web-based Training).
(c) Teaching aids and media: ICT is used as a teaching aid in schools to
• use pictures, animations, and audio-visuals to explain subjects that are difficult to explain.
• make the lessons interesting using presentations.
(d) Learning Management System (LMS): A Learning Management System (LMS) is being used by many countries to manage school systems. It will help students to learn better and will enable the parents to monitor the progress of their children.
8. Which software is used in digital communication?
Answer: In digital communication, we use computers for email, chatting, FTP, telnet, and video conferencing. Softwares used for digital communication are Skype, Whatsapp, Gmail, Facebook, Instagram, etc.
9. For what purpose is IT used in business?
Answer: Computers are used in business organizations for payroll calculation, budgeting, sales analysis, financial forecasting etc.
IT facilitates marketing, a customer visit, product browsing, shopping basket checkout, shopping, receipt and process order.
A lot of business transactions happen through Internet called e-commerce.
10. Which are the prominent areas where IT is used in science and engineering?
Answer: Scientists and engineers use computers: –
- for performing complex scientific calculations.
- CAD or CAM applications are used for drawing, designing and simulating, and testing the designs.
- for storing a large amount of data, and performing complex calculations.
- Complex scientific applications like a rocket launching, space exploration, etc.
11. List the various uses of IT in a banking system.
Answer: Every activity of a bank is now online, like:
- The customer’s data and transactions are recorded by computers.
- Recurring deposits, Fixed deposits, money transfers from one account to another (NEFT, RTGS), and online transactions are done using the Internet.
- Capital market transactions, financial analysis, and related services are available on online platforms.
- ATM is used for cash deposits and withdrawal.
12. Which are the different areas of healthcare where IT is used? And how?
Answer: ICT is used in the health sector in numerous ways.
- Hospital Management System is used to maintain and manage patients’ records.
- Computerized machines are used for ECG, EEG, Ultrasound, and CT scans.
- A variety of measuring instruments and surgical equipment is used to monitor patients’ conditions during complex surgery.
- An expert system is used for diagnosis.
- ICT is also used in the diagnosis and treatment of critical diseases.
13. List any 5 websites of the Indian government which provide IT-enabled services to the people.
Answer: Indian government websites are: